How to Compile using .net SDK?

silverstormboy

Newcomer
Hi, I am new in VB.net and i hope you guys can help me.

1.How to compile using .net framework SDK? I know that we can compile the form using build function from VS.net, but how if i use .net framework SDK? Can i compile and run the Application from the command prompt just like Java SDK?

2. We can download .net framework and .net framework SDK from Microsoft site, does it mean that they are free just like Java SDK?

Thanks in advance.... :)

1)
C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\vbc YourFile.vb

Just like java you can add the directory to your path and then just do;
vbc YourFile.vb

So yes, just like Java. However .NET is built around RAD and using the console prompt to compile your work that you typed up in the text editor defeats the purpose of the .NET language entirely. You should really download free IDEs or buy Studio .NET (some books offer professional edition on DVD that are 60 day trial but you can register them for only $15, killer deal).

2) Yes, there's even a free IDE that you can download (as I mentioned above) for ASP.NET (www.asp.net) and another IDE for C# and VB.NET (support for VB.NET is minimal though) called SharpDevelop (don't have the URL off hand, try searching google.com). There are still large advantages in purchasing Studio .NET, such as the awsome intellisence support and debugger. :)

Thanks Wyrd for the information.... :)
actually i have my studio .NET at home, but because Microsoft is very particular in licensing, I cant install it at my office.

Any way, thanks for the free IDE information, I will check it.

Have a nice day :)

What errors do you receive?

You may need to read up on the command-line parameters of the various .net compilers. You'll need these to reference assemblies and specify default imports and project output type.

from the command prompt, i set the path to vbc.exe:
set path=c:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\

after that, i go to the folder contain the vb file and type:
vbc (nameOfFle.vb)

I think my method is wrong....but i could not find the proper way of doing the compilation from the documentation.

1. Do you have a very simple vb.net window application that can be compiled from .net frameworkSDK?

Actually, I have downloaded one example from the CodeLibrary forum posted by Derek Stone. He gave us an example of how we can write our code in notepad, but he didnt give us How we can compile the application using .netframeworkSDK.

From this MSDN documentation:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft.NET\FrameworkSDK\Samples\Applications\Wintalk\ReadMe.htm

2. it said that we should type "build.bat" to build the program.
but my question is: how to create this "build.bat" if let say i write the program in notepad?

well, of course it would be very easyy if we have vs.net, just press F5...but i am just curious about this problem :)

Back