How much ASP.Net do you actually use?

Denaes

Senior Contributor
On this new project we're working on, it seems like less and less.

Data/business layer is in TSQL in the SQL Server supplying Web Services.

The front end is using Infragistics controls primarily and will be 100% client side DHTML/AJAX, so everything after the Page_Load event will all be in javascript.

So far with my Infragistics controls for the last 10 pages I've made yesterday, not a single line of C# (that I've written at least!) in them. Between the configurable controls and javascript, everything is taken care of.

We'll have to write some code and maybe even a postback for logging in and Permissions/Roles.

The really funny part is that the company bought us AppDev training videos for C#, but not the Atlas/Ajax one yet, so we're watching videos and learning all about .Net and not really using most of what we're learning right now.

Anyone else have a similar situation?

That's what technologies is all about. They help you to do things easier. :D I've never used any Infragistics controls before. Is it true that it was build based on AJAX?

I think it's great that the company you work in buys those videos about .Net. I've never experience anything like that. :D

I have another somewhat similar situation. In my recent project, I need to use VS 2002. :eek: That sure gave me a good laugh. In this era of VS 2005, I'm suppose to develop using VS 2002? Oh my God. :p The funny part is that they too have bought VS 2005 to be used in development. I don't know why they didn't consider migrating. I'd understand if it's 2003. But 2002? Give me a break. :rolleyes:

That's what technologies is all about. They help you to do things easier. :D I've never used any Infragistics controls before. Is it true that it was build based on AJAX?

Technically speaking, yeah. They're rendered into 100% HTML & Javascript, ie DHTML ie AJAX. They expose many Client Side and Server Side events, so you can choose how you want to handle them. You can also configure if you want to run them clientside (Ajax) or server side.

From draggin a combobox or a grid onto your WebForm, you can define or choose a datasource, configure how the control will be laid out, which columns will show, etc and just run the form and the page renders with all the data. Not a single line of code.

I think it's great that the company you work in buys those videos about .Net. I've never experience anything like that. :D

It is great.

It really bothers me when a company totally undermines their own employees and efforts by not supporting their employees with training and proper hardware/software.

I've seen companies not want to buy training material, then spend 10x as much money on employees floundering around to get a job done; a job they could have done faster and probobly better with some good solid training.

Same with software. One company paid a developer for over a year to write an internal ASP.Net application for tracking projects and status because they couldn't fit it into their budget. True, the developer learned a LOT in that time, but they spent way more on salary and had to wait a year to get software with 1/100th the features the commercial versions have.

Some companies would rather you do things yourself than buy controls, which is so silly. for less than 1 weeks pay for each developer, you can purchase a suite like Infragistics or ComponantOne which would save way more than 40 hours over the life of a project between development and debugging.

I'm very happy that our management gets this and is super supportive.

I couldn't agree more.

Only few companies are able to conduct solid human resource improvement by performing training and such. Maybe those companies didn't really pay attention to their employees skill or maybe they simply don't have the budget to do so. :p

I believe it comes back to the mind set of the people responsible for human resource improvement. It's all like you said about wasting more money on salaries and wasting more time on development. They simply can't comprehend the need to buy extra controls or tools or the need to train their employees. Or ... as I said earlierk, they just don't have the money to do that.

I believe there are more things to be considered there. Some companies I know consist mostly of contract-based employees. Training these kinds of employees would be considered a waste of money. That's way in most companies tie their employees with a contract. "If you're going to be receiving training using the company's budget, then you'll have to agree working here for 1 year. Bla bla bla ...."

Some more solid companies think about improving the skills of their employees; especially their permanent employees. But they cannot see any benefits conducting those improvements.

I don't know. As an employee, I simply follow along. Still I'm always looking for a better working place offering more benefits (i.e. training, higher wages). If I can't get any then I guess I have to improve myself without relying any company I work in.

:D

Back