How 2 create deployment & include .Net Framework? (seems impossible)

• Thread starter Thread starter AnakinVB
  • Start date Start date
A

AnakinVB

Hello,
I have tried and tried at work and at home to create an installation of a VB.Net "Hello World" program and I get stuck at the same place every time.
DerekStone pointed me VB.NET's instructions on this. I followed them to the letter and the installation/deployment does not work. No matter what I do I get a message saying that my program is missing the .Net Framework. Per the VB.Net help directions, I selected the Bootstrapper drop-down list and chose the "Windows Installer Bootstrapper" before building my installer.

I have spent 2 weeks trying to create an installation/setup/deployment. I have followed every bit of advice on the forums. But everyone has pointed me toward the help system which I have followed to the letter.

A) ***Can someone PLEASE try to create an installation/setup/deployment of "Hello World" for me and tell me how they did it?
B) How do you include the .Net Framework?
Both the instructions from the .Net help system and from my book do not work - no matter how many times I try.
Please help,
-Anakin

When the warning comes up saying your installation does not include the .net framework, that doesn't mean the build has failed. If you look in the Debug or Release folder under your deployment project, you'll find your setup files.

If you really want to modify your setup package to automatically install the .net framework on installation (not strictly needed) follow this url:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnnetdep/html/redistdeploy.asp

The message says that the installation will not run without the user first running dotnetfx.exe which is a 21mb file. Is this the case??

I was unaware of that when I bought it last week. Makes it very difficult to distribute something small.

I think the idea is that soon everyone will have the .net framework. It's already on windows update and in xp service pack 1, and the next generation of ms products will install it if you don't have it already.

Back