Hooking other applications messages

oval

Newcomer
first of all, AHHHHHHHHHHHH. I used to use a .vbx back in the day to simply subclass/hook other applications. Today i'm using visual basic .net and i'm having a hell of a time getting this to work. I even purchased the book "Subclassing & Hooking with Visual Basic" which covers vb .net. Hooking my own application is not a problem at all, lots of examples etc.. but still unable to successfully hook other applications. i'm LOST! An example would be much appreciated.

I've now had more time to play with this stuff.. and i have successfully hooked messages from specific applications using a DLL i made in C++ with the help of some examples on the internet and in the book. From what i understand it's not possible to subclass/hook other applications from within a visual basic application. unless of course you're using a win32 dll made in c++ or something.

It's possible to hook certain types of messages, however some types require a standard DLL to be injected into each process at startup. This of course requires a language that can create standard DLLs, C being the most popular candidate.

Back