Help getting VB.NET to recognize DX9 SDK

nem33

Newcomer
I've downloaded the SDK for DX9 from microsoft.com, installed it..
Obviously I have the .NET Framework installed first since I have VB.NET on my machine.
After installing the DX9 SDK I cannot find the reference to it in VB.NET. Under 'Add Reference' I should see something like...'Directx9.Net' or something like that under the '.NET' Tab right? I can't find anything like that... I downloaded some example source code and it comes up with the same error..it cannot reference to the Directx9 libraries.. I don't know what I'm doing wrong..I want to learn DX and such a problem early on is frustrating..any help is appreciated..Thank you.

Did you download the VB.NET only SDK? I did that first off, and had the same problem. I ended up having to download the full version before it would work.

Yes I have - twice! I even redownloaded the whole thing....
Where should these files be located on my computer? Do they automatically appear in the .NET listing for referenced components or do I need to manually 'browse' for them? I'm sorry these questions are so newbish but I have tried everything. I'm trying to figure out what is going on...
Oddly enough I now have a 'DirectX9 Visual Basic Wizard' option when I create a new project..However trying to use it gives me the same problem..No referenced DX9....
*sigh*

Are you looking for Microsoft.DirectX.dll or DirectX9.DirectDraw.dll
The file name in bold is the correct one, if it still isn't there look for mdxredist.msi in the DXSDK\Redist\DirectX9 directory and run it to install the Managed Runtimes

Okay I tired that and a screen came up ..said something like DX managed Runtime......preparing to install....status bar moves up then......Then dissappeared....The process just sits in the background...nothing seems to happen after that... :(

Well a friend is having the exact same problem now...Maybe this is a question for Microsoft...Thank you for the help.

I've found that in my C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\ManagedDirectX\v4.09.00.0900\
There is a bunch of .xml files named..
'Microsoft.DirectX.XML'
'Microsoft.Direct3d.XML'
'Microsoft.DirectDraw.XML'.....etc...

I also did a search for 'Microsoft.DirectX.NET' On my computer and the file does not exist...Shouldn't it be in the same folder as those .XML files? Seems to me like the installer.msi didn't work quite right...Anyone have feedback on this?

Okay I dont know if anyone's still reading this but I found this information out...
you installed the DX9.0a end-user runtime.

you need the DX9.0a developer runtime, and until its out you will have a
problem.

you can either:
wait
use one of the unsupported ways to revert DX versions
reinstall the OS.

Lesson of the day..Don't install new DirectX without checking to see if the SDK has been updated to compliment it.

Last edited:
there is an easy solution, extract C:\DXSDK\SDKDev\Retail\dxnt.cab with winzip

and copy the microsoft.directx.*.dll 's to

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Managed DirectX\v4.09.00.0900

add the .dll references u need in your C# project manualy

works fine even with directx9.0a installed

happy coding!

Thanks Mikcey, that worked for me. A note, the Microsoft.DirectX.*.dll runtimes appear in both dxnt.cab and DirectX.cab, and they appear to be equivalent.

And why the hell doesn't MS advertise the fact that you're screwed if you install DirectX 9.0a (which can't be uninstalled) with the 9.0 SDK before 9.0 for developers is released? Without doing this manual copy, it appears that installing the DX9.0 SDK (software DEVELOPMENT kit) prevents you from DEVELOPING using DX 9.0.

This this not seem idiotic to anyone else out there?

Back