Hanging IDE

hog

Senior Contributor
Hi, does anyone experience the IDE hanging resulting in a ctrl-alt-del to get out? This was happening virtually every time I used the IDE, so wiped the laptop and reinstalled everything, but last night it happened again. I have just intstalled SP2 and have not had a chance to check it yet, but does anyone know if any of these could be to blame:

Many of my forms have 32x40 animated gifs, disk save, delete etc.

One form has a tab control with 13 pages with 12 controls on each page, plus the main form has 3 animated gifs.

When each form is closed I set all objects to nothing in order to aid garbage collection, however what happens if the app bombs as they do in development and I select quit to go back to the IDE. Does the memory free up or am I experiencing a cumulative memory leak?

I have read the other thread re slow IDE, I have 32 items in solution explorer and if I click to view a form in design mode there is a considerable delay before it opens. Is this the norm?

Phew.....done....all help gratefully received....

Well. It *is*the norm for me, too. But I have attributed to my considerably old hardware (2 years old).

My IDE (devenv.exe) grabs 95% CPU Power after opening a project, opening a form or control in the designer will take about 10 seconds.

However, a collegue here in my project does *not* have these problems. So I reckon this problem is definetely "solution independent". Maybe it's the hardware, maybe I am missing a patch somewhere. I can't help it.

OK, thanks.....maybe I'll just have to live with it and save very often!

Back