guaranteed images?

joe_pool_is

Contributor
How could I guarantee that the multiple images in my C# project are the ones that are supposed to be in there?

Our company has an application that is being developed for use in a small, hand held device (palm pilot, etc). The application uses pictures to help the technician troubleshoot problems out in the field and details where to make connections, what bolts to tighten, etc.

The company wants to safeguard the images used by the application to ensure no one can tamper with them, since a wrong image could result in injury or death.

WiFi is not always available, especially deep in the coal mines or out on off-shore drilling platforms, so connecting to an SQL Server for our images is not the best idea.

I tried embedding the images by using an image list, but then I am limited to 256 width by 256 height. We'd like our techs to be able to zoom in on a region if it is necessary.

Regards,
jp

PlausiblyDamp said:
You could store them as an embedded resource within the executable.
Sounds like what I want.

Could you (or someone) throw me some tips that would let me get started fast with embedded resources? The majority of our products are still Borland creations, so we are a little slow when it comes to Visual Studio.

Thanks for your help!

What version (version number and standard/express/professional) of what language(s) are you using? There are lots of tutorials around, but in the newest versions of C# and VB.Net (not sure about C++) there is a designer to generate code to access resources.

This is on Visual C# 2005 Express. When I tried 'DefaultNamespace.Properties.Resources.ResourceName', I was able to debug down to the fact that the Resources.Designer.cs file had populated itself with [CS]internal static string mylogo {
get {
return ResourceManager.GetString("mylogo", resourceCulture);
}
}
[/CS]Now, every time I try to delete that resource through the Resource Designer, C# stops responding. Grrrr!! Maybe I should just go home a little early for the day, huh?

Here's a thought. Are you going to need to be able to expand or modify these images between software releases? If so, resources might not be the way to go. Perhaps you could get some cryptography (System.Security.Cryptography) involved. Maybe verify files with a hash or use asymmetrical encryption to make your data tamper-resistant.

Back