General Thanks and Why XML?

Gladimir

Regular
I'm just getting into ADO.NET and C# from VB6 and decided my latest project would be a good place to jump into the water.

The first deliverable of the project was due yesterday and thanks to the people here, I mailed it out at 10 PM last night. I will tell you that I received much better help here than on the microsoft.public. usenet groups or on the C# Corner message boards. So, in lieu of sending you all a cut of the check, I'm offering my most sincere appreciation and praise. ;)

Now, on to my XML question?

As I work my way through various C# and ADO books, I'm seeing the cool things XML can do for typed database design, but why would I ever go through the trouble of documenting my code with XML?

By "documenting your code with XML" do you mean using the "///" comments above each function or class? If so, those comments can easily be pulled out into a document for handing off to other designers or to a client (if they're interested in such things). There's a built in documentation extractor that comes with VS.NET. I forget the name offhand as I only run it once a month through a batch file :p

You can also add <xs:annotation> and <xs:documentation> nodes to an XML document to add documentation there, if that's what you meant. We use them at my job to document our XSD files and to add schematron information.

If you meant something else by documenting with XML, let me know :)

-Ners

Back