general network error...?

reagan123

Freshman
every once in awhile our app generates the following error.. it's not consistent but i'm not sure what is causing it. Does anyone have any insight?

this is an asp.net/c# app.

Code:
An unexpected error has occurred on this page. The system administrators have been notified. Please feel free to contact us with the information surrounding this error.
Time: 9/8/2005 10:38 AM
The error occurred in: /RequestInspection.aspx
User IP Address: xx.x.xx.xx
Error Message: General network error. Check your network documentation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stack Trace:

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: General network error.  Check your network documentation.

FWIW, I've seen this error when connected to sql and you shut down the database. I imagine you'd get the same if you rip out the network cable, but I haven't tried that <s>

Mike

thanks for the reply... i've done some searching and found this as a "fix" does anyone know why I shouldn't try this?

Code:
What i did was to append: max pool size = 7500, to my connection string. 
This fixed the problem, but didn't explain why the problem occured in the first place

It might help if you posted the relevant code from your application, it could be that you aren't closing connections down properly but are still opening new ones in their place.
Normally you wouldn't expect a web application to exceed the default of a 100 connections even under some fairly heavy loads, 7500 seems excesive to say the least.

it tends to happen in different places... the people using the application are out and about in cars driving around with laptops.. didn't know if that may be a factor...

Back