Framework files

rreznikoff

Newcomer
I'm sure I don't belong in this forum, but it is the one placewhere I felt I could get some expert advice. I am not a developer, so I would appreciate any replies to be in simple lay language.

I received a number of errors on my computer relating to dot net framework. The advice I received had me adding and removing dot net files and now I am not sure if I have what I need. Searching the add/remove files it shows:
Microsoft Net Framework 1.1
Microsoft Net Framework 1.1 Hotfix (KB928366)
Microsoft Net Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1

Am I missing Microsoft Net Framework 2.0? Are other files also missing? If I need to add files, which ones and in what order? Do I need to delete any files before adding others? Are reboots necessary, and if so, when?

A simple step by step guide would be appreciated along with a hypertext that would take me to the correct place to obtain the needed files.

Thanks!

Checkout SmallestDotNet.com -- it will detect what you have, and give you a link to the smallest download available from Microsoft to get you up to date.

I went on Smallestdotnet.com and was told that since I am using Windows 2000 it will not support Dotnet 3.5, but will support Net Framework 2.0 SP1. I have that file, but I notice I do not have Net Framework 2.0. Does SP1 automatically include Net Framework 2.0 or do I need to add it?

IIRC SP1 is an updated version of the framework and effectively replaces it, easiest way to check is probably trying to install .Net 2 and see if it detects a newer version installed.

Back