flash...general discussion...

alanchinese

Regular
i've never really seriously developed a webpage, either in ASP.NET or PHP
what is Macromedia's role in web development?
what is its advantage and disadvantage?
can ASP.NET do everything it's doing?
btw, i hate java and its applet only because of its performance... i hope i won't get an answer that flash's performance is even worse...

Flash, is well, flashy. It's extremely slow on dial up, and it requires an uplevel (newer) browser with the correct plugins and it's speed is based upon the client's machine - it can be very fast on one machine and very slow on another. Is there anything you can do in flash that you can't do with SVG, or CSS, or JavaScript, or rather a combination - no - is it easier HTML? Depends on you're experiance level with both (ASP.NET/PHP fall within HTML because that is what they render). Flash is just one product made by Macromedia - they make several web development products. I use none of them and I do this for a living. Chrome plating doesn't make a good car. The same can be said for Flash and a good web site.

i want to make a nice looking and rich user interface website.
originally i planned on making a windows forms project but there are two main problems:
1) not everyone has the .net runtime.
2) it's pretty hard to support multi-user in a winform application.
a nice looking website can be achieved from css & dhtml
how can a rich user interface achieved?

Good design. That's not a simple question. There is no simple answer. That's like what make a good car? It seats a lot? Maybe to some. It's fast? What is fast? 80 mph? 120 kph? It has loads of safety features?

Good design is in the eyes of the beholder. The best you can do is make a design that is good to you and hope that what you like, other people like. Or make the site look like what other sites people like look like.

do you mean that i should give up the learning project on flash?
i am debating if i should spend any effort on it...
just in responds to your points, no one is using dial-ups, my website browsers or users are majorly using the newest IE, their computers are approaching the top of the line.

the project i am aiming to do is heavily relying on user interface. it will allow the users to drag and drop icons (about 300 icons per page) around an area (re-arrange the orders) and deliver a nice looking report.
is xhtml sufficient to handle this goal?
i was trying to do the same in windows forms, i had to force myself to user GDI+ since 300+ icons will simply slow down the UI...

Again, it's what you're good at. I could do that in flash, DHTML, whatever. You should always program at a level slightly above your comfort level. I say above because if you only program at your comfort level you never improve. It it were me doing it I would just doing it with plain old ASP.NET (since I can manipulate GDI+ to do some cool graphic things, and my javascript skill are pretty good for the dragging and dropping), but for yourself, if Flash is more comfortable, do it in flash.

no flash is completely new to me too. i like to challenge and improve.
please direct me to some resource on how to manipulate GDI+ (on asp.net) and drag&drop using javascript.
appreciate your help.

Back