File paths and URLs

mike55

Contributor
Hi Guys

Am trying to start a new asp.net project using VB.net. When i go to create a new project i get a message dialog telling me that the file path that i am using does not correspond to the URL.

file path: c:\intepub\wwwroot\webApp1
URL: http://localhost/webApp1

Any suggestions on how to get around this prob??

Mike

ISS is already installed in the machine. Would the problem be due to the fact that the machine is running Windows Server 2003???

Mike

mike55 said:
ISS is already installed in the machine. Would the problem be due to the fact that the machine is running Windows Server 2003???

Mike

in windows server 2003, ASP.NET is disabled by default (for security reasons) so you have to tell IIS that running of ASP.NET pages is allowed.

I am creating the project from scratch. I tried to up load an existing project in had done on another page. The steps i followed for moving the project from one machine to another are:
1. copy the project folder from wwwroot folder and from Visual Studio in MyDocuments
2. Relocate to same folders in new machine
3. Open iss and expand web site folder followed by default web site folder
4. Create new virtual directory and use the name of the project folder in wwwroot.
5 Map to the bin folder within my project folder in wwwroot and hey presto it should work??

Any other suggestions or how are you doing it??

Mike

mike55 said:
2. Relocate to same folders in new machine

do you use the same user name on both machines ? because "my documents" won't have the same path if the user names are different ;)

huby said:
in windows server 2003, ASP.NET is disabled by default (for security reasons) so you have to tell IIS that running of ASP.NET pages is allowed.

Do i re-enable asp.net in IIS or do i need to go to the local security settings??

Ok

Have followed the instructions included in the link, have also installed MSDN Library files, but am still getting the same problem. Has anyone else experienced the same problem??

Mike

Solution to the problem....

Go to the ISS and select properties for the default web server, select the HTTP Header tab, and click on the Mime type option and .tmp and temp into the two textboxes and bobs your uncle!!!

Mike

Always seems easier to create a new project solution and import all of the existing items into it.
When you make a new asp.net application you let Visual Studio setup the virtual folders and all of the messy business that Microshaft doesn't want us to know about.
Of course when you try to move an asp.net app to another machine you invariably forget the solution file anyway. So a new solution is usually called for anyhow.

I don't know what you actually typed in in VS.NET, but in your question inetpub is spelled wrong: intepub. try fixing that if necessary.

VBAHole22 said:
Always seems easier to create a new project solution and import all of the existing items into it.
When you make a new asp.net application you let Visual Studio setup the virtual folders and all of the messy business that Microshaft doesn't want us to know about.
Of course when you try to move an asp.net app to another machine you invariably forget the solution file anyway. So a new solution is usually called for anyhow.

Had tried that approach aswell, however the system prevented me from importing any files, i.e. told me that the file were unsuitable or of the wrong type.

Mike

Back