File Download Class

tymbow

Newcomer
I have a class which I'm writing to manage file downloads. It does a few things but mainly it just does the old application/octet-stream content-disposition and writes the outputstream of the respose object. Nothing radical here.

To initiate a download typically you would say: download.aspx?Filename=somefile

The obvious issue here is that because the class bypasses ASP.NET file security and accesses the files directly, a user could say: download.aspx?Filename=web.config and it would happily send them that (or any other) file.

My class currently implements file extension allow/deny properties to limit what sort of files can be served up but I don't feel this is really secure enough.

I'm interested in is peoples comments on how best to close this issue or how they handle this sort of thing.

You should not allow user to keyin the URL to direct download your file. You can check what is the URL the user come from, then determine whether you want to let them download the file.

This is just a basic control

That's what I was thinking.

What do you feel is the best way to get the filenames which will change all the time (eg: a list of links to files on a web page) to the control then?

Back