Error Handling Techniques for ASP.NET

bri189a

Senior Contributor
Just curious how some of you other guys handle unhandled errors in your ASP.NET applications...

1. Just throw the error and show a custom error page? Or worse the default error page?

2. Do a stack trace and put it in a log, or db, or email it? (What I do; however in release mode doesn't do a lot of good since I have no line numbers) and then do #1 or something else?

3. Catch all errors and just do nothing and leave the user thinking something was accomplished that wasn't? I hope not.

4. Redirect to a start page? Not very user friendly.

Reason I ask is I'm not really happy with my methods and wanted to do some personal research from the folks that visit here on what they do. Then while I wait on answer here I'll be Googling to see what suggestions I can find out there on the web?

I know this probably isn't very professional, but I generally include a hidden Label control that I will write error messages to and display whenever my form experiences errors. Generally, I include error prone routines in a try-catch block, and use the Exception Message as the Label's text with the note to kindly inform the webmaster (me).

Hopefully, that doesn't happen too often, though.

Back