Enterpise Application Blocks - Exception Handling Block Issue

bri189a

Senior Contributor
I hope someone on this forum is familiar with these blocks.

I downloaded, read, and set up an Exception block for a web app that I'm working on that resides on a virtual server. Well the block did it's job; problem is, that for whatever reason it's trying to read and create a key to the registry on the virtual machine - which won't happen - they keep it locked down and it's not going to change.

The only sink I have for error logging is Email - and it sends the email like it should. I don't know why; and what kind of stupid design you would have to have Email messages try to access or create a new key in the registry but for whatever reason it's trying to which means I raise an error inside my catch which leads to the error page rather than it just writing the log like it should and the page continuing; regardless though there's something I'm either not doing right or the Application block wasn't well designed - I hoping the former but I'm thinking the latter - so for me to use this block I have to wrap my calls to the block in a try catch of it's own - which is just stupid... I may as well as right my own custom error handling block which is what I was trying to avoid by downloading this one from MSDN.

Does anyone know if the same sort of stupid logic exists in the other blocks (ie. something that should by nature not come within 1000 miles of the registry, trying to access the registry - such as my 'Email' sink for exception handling.)

Yes, I read some posts that you can't just XCOPY...but this is a virtual server...they aren't going to install anything that isn't there by default in the framework. I'm very surprised and disappointed that the makers of the library didn't think about this when developing the library. Do you know if this is going to become an issue when I try to use the other blocks? If it's just the logging block then I'll make my own application execption handling and logging, but if it bleeds into the data, security, or caching block then the whole library is useless to me; which is quite disappointing.

Back