Encapsualte Functionality

RobEmDee

Centurion
I have included all the functionality for a given app within the small apps I have been creating over the past year. Alas, I have been tasked with actually doing something a bit more complex. My questions:
At what point does it make sense to start compiling different groups of functionality into separate dll's and then referencing them in your main app? Is there any upside to doing this? I have a DataSet with 12 tables, a DataView for each, a DataGridTableStyle for each, and many custom updating scenarios for db interaction. My app is a data analysis tool so the above functionality will always be the same. It seems to me that if it is beneficial to group functionality in separate dll's I may be in the position to do so.
Thanks ahead of time for your input!

Well, given that your Interfaces a really stable, I'd encapsulate as soon as possible.

First of all I am under the impression that larger solutions do slow the IDE - significantly. You'd avoid that to an exend.

Also, strict encapsulation will force you to put more effort into a clean architectural design of your app. Not a bad thing either.

The only downside is indeed that if your app or your interfaces or your encapsulated functions are not (yet) stable, you have a hard time changing them. You'd probably also need stubs for stubs for the dlls - but you should have the already, as you said the functionality has already been programmed,

my 2c
Heiko

Back