Emulate 3dsmax6 Viewport?

kuyawsadabaw

Newcomer
I've just downloaded the DirectX9 SDK and using C#...

I hope somebody can direct me so that I can implement these functionalities...

I'm looking for a way to emulate 3dsmax6's perspective view. So far, I've looked at the codes and samples of the DX SDK. I've also looked at the MeshViewer Utility that comes with it. It's the closest thing so far...

I need something that can visually show a network of nodes (geospheres) and links (lines) between them. I'm looking for something that will enable me to rotate/pan/zoom through that environment and interactively select nodes using the mouse. It's more of a visual tool though. I just need the 3d representation to have a better view of things. 2d just doesn't cut it for this project.

Basically, I want the ability to create geospheres and draw lines between them. (I think I might be able to create a geosphere mesh from 3dsmax and just use copies of that in my program). Also, programatical creation of the nodes/lines may be more practical. I don't need to use the mouse to create objects in the view.
I need to be able to programatically move the nodes to specific points.
When selecting a node, I need the option to set the current node as the focal point or point of rotation when rotating the view. Or return to using (0,0,0) as the focal point.
I should be able to treat the nodes as objects in my code. (I don't know if that makes sense). I think by that, I mean... It has to have properties and methods that I can refer to... especially when nodes are selected.

Recap:

1. How do I create geospheres and position them?
2. How do I draw lines between them?
3. How do I get that 3dsmax6 Viewport Zoom/Pan/Rotate behavior?
4. How do I reset the rotation point of the view?
5. How can I enable selection of geospheres?
6. How do I know when they are selected?

trig. lots of trig.

http://www.visualbasicforum.com/showthread.php?t=176234
the above will show you how to do camera rotations, the post by me will show you some of the trig you need...

you are going to need to learn to use the directx viewports, for a max style screen, for each viewport you are going to need to render 4 times and place them correctly, try searching viewports

to select things you are going to need to learn 'picking' eather you send a ray out from your camera in the direction the mouse is clicking or you could make your own 3d engine that tracks the 3d->2d transformations that makes picking very easy. again my post in the above link has 3d->2d transformations from a camera angle.

thanks... I was just planning to have one viewport though. I don't need the other 3. I'm still a bit out of place when it comes to the calculations... I need to read up on fundamentals to understand them a bit more.

How do I draw lines in DirectX? When I exported my mesh from 3dsmax, the splines aren't exported over. Does everything have to be a mesh in .x files?

To see what I'm trying to accomplish: http://www.xiirus.net/nodelinks.jpg

As far as I know you cannot export splines in x files. At lest not without custom templates, which means that you'd have to extend the format. For drawing lines I suggest you use the Line class as this is the easiest way to draw (poly)lines with varying widths.

Back