Dynamically Added Link Buttons

foz

Freshman
Hi all,

I'm new to the board, everythings looks pretty cool!

The problem I'm having, as the title suggests, is with dynamically added linkbuttons.

I have a search functionality, that returns all results displayed in a asp:table via the table.rows.add(TableRow) etc...
For each record returned I'm adding a delete linkbutton and an edit linkbutton each with an ID relative to the record returned.

The problem is that the CommandEventHandlers that I've created aren't getting executed.

If I put the function that I created to run whenever the search button is clicked (i.e. the function that adds the delete and edit linkbuttons) into the Page_Load, then CommandEventHandlers created run fine.

Any Ideas? I think it has something to do with the lifecycle of webcontrols... but not 100%.

any ideas?

cheers,

foz

I have done something similar to this with one of my apps - so I might be able to help if I can see some of your code so I can see what you are doing...

which bits would you like?

here's how the link buttons are created:

// the below is encapsulated in a do{}while(sqlDR.Read());

// create the control and add to tablecell

tdDELETE = new TableCell();
lbDelete = new LinkButton();
lbDelete.ID = "lbDel"+i;
lbDelete.Text = "Delete";
lbDelete.CommandArgument = i.ToString();
lbDelete.CommandName = "Delete";
lbDelete.Command += new System.Web.UI.WebControls.CommandEventHandler(OnLinkClick);
lbDelete.Attributes.Add("onclick", "return confirm('Are you Sure you want to delete this?');");
tdDELETE.Controls.Add(lbDelete);

// then the table cell is added to the dynamically created tablerow

i figured it was this, cheers. I was just hoping someone would have had the same problem and come across a different solution.

i've ended up just putting the function that generates the tbl into the page_load and worked around this.

cheers,

kahlua

Back