DX9 SDK tutorials/sample won't Open in VS.NET

CattleRustler

Regular
Hello all.

I dloaded and installed the following:
DX9SDK
DX9SDKUpdate (summer 2003)
.NET Framework 1.1

I can view/run the samples in the sdk from the sample viewer util that comes with it but if I try to open the source in vs.net I get a msgbox() stating that the files are not valid VS solutions. When i attempt to open these tutorials manually from within vs nothing happens - the project doesn't load at all, just sits there - no error as well.

If I create a new project I can make reference to the dx9 objects so I don't think it's a dll problem, i just can't open the included source in the tuts - Anyone have this problem too?

Also, my vs version is 2002 - does that matter? Can I download an update to 2003 or do I have to call MS? my product IS registered.

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

If im not mistaken the samples from the newest release of DX9SDK come in the VS.NET 2003 format. So your copy of VS.NET 2002 will not open them.
You could try creating a new project and simply adding all required references and files and then run it.

ah ha! I thought that was it but I wasn't sure, because I thought I read somewhere that it needed 2003 to run 'em-shwew! thanks Mutant !

Can I dload an upgrade from MS or do I have to call them?

The upgrade from VS.NET 2002 to VS.NET 2003 is not free. It used to be, lets say, almost free, because the upgrade price was $29.99. But that was a limited offer which ended in september.

I think I read that on their site, but they provided a phone number for registered users to acquire the update - not sure if I have to pay or not. It should be downloadable! Also with the cost of Enterprise Architect I shouldn't have to pay for an update!

Anyway thanks

Back