but when i post back to the page
the page just cuts short at the dropdownlist

i think its something got to do with the page trying to remember so much data

has anyone has similar experinces
is there any workarounds?

Regards
Shane

Hi,

I also think on the same line. I never came across the limitation of dropdown list box.

ASP.NET maintains state for each control on the page for which viewstate is set to TRUE. And for maintaing the viewstate the controls data is transferred from the webserver to client browser and vice versa.

So with the increase in amount of data transfer, the performance decreases.

HTH

Do you really need that many items in the list? What kind of data is the user selecting from?
It may be possible to categorise the data and present a couple of lists with fewer entries....

PlausiblyDamp said:
Do you really need that many items in the list? What kind of data is the user selecting from?
It may be possible to categorise the data and present a couple of lists with fewer entries....

It is for a production line. The dropdownlist contains all the product codes that can be produced. Because the product codes are fairly ambiguous (i.e. "ar125-737") it was thought it better to put them all into a dropdown list so the user can’t make a mistake

However I agree that there are probably too many items to put into a dropdown list and I am now using a textbox and letting them enter it in manually. The page seems to work fine now so there must be a capacity on what asp.net can remember as regards dropdownlists.

Thanks for the replies
Shane

Back