Dropdown list behavior problem...

SteveoAtilla

Regular
Hey,

I have a customer application that has NUMEROUS dropdown lists.

Most behave properly - i.e., when the list is longer than the screen, the list continues off the bottom of the screen instead of stopping and displaying a scroll bar.

In some cases, there is a scroll bar, but it still goes off the bottom of the screen.

I have adjusted the height and font size of this dropdown list, for use on a touch-screen kiosk, and this may have something to do with it.

How do I correct this erroneous behavior?

Thanks,

Kahuna

PlausiblyDamp said:
Does this occur with a specific browser or with any browser?
I have tried it with IE (versions 5 and 6) and get that behavior. Mozilla has other issues, and is considered incompatible.

If you mean have I had this problem on all workstations, the customer is testing that, but has not yet found a machine that it works on.

Kahuna

PlausiblyDamp said:
Sounds odd. How are you generating the list? Also what does the rendered HTML for the list look like?
Here's the Rendered HTML:

Code:
  <asp:dropdownlist id="drpWorkcenter" style="Z-INDEX: 116; LEFT: 48px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 224px"
   runat="server" Font-Names="Arial Narrow" Font-Size="X-Large" Width="488px" Height="48px" Visible="False"
   AutoPostBack="True"></asp:dropdownlist>

Here's the code that loads the list:

Code:
 [font=Courier New]  Private Sub LoadWorkcenterList()
   ' Procedure to load the Workcenter Dropdown list based on the Cost Center selected
   Dim MyCommand As New SqlCommand
   Dim CommandText As String

' Query the Database for all Workcenters that are under the Selected Cost Center
   CommandText = "SELECT WorkcenterNumber, WorkcenterName " & _
 				  "FROM dbo.WorkcenterList " & _
 				 "WHERE CostCenter = '" & Session("CostCenter") & "' " & _
   			  "ORDER BY WorkcenterNumber"
   SqlConnection2.Open()
   MyCommand = New SqlCommand(CommandText, SqlConnection2)
   Dim WorkCenterData As SqlDataReader =  MyCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior.CloseConnection)

drpWorkcenter.Items.Clear()
   drpWorkcenter.Items.Add("Choose your Workcenter")

While WorkCenterData.Read()
  	drpWorkcenter.Items.Add(WorkCenterData.GetValue(0) & " - " & WorkCenterData.GetValue(1))
   End While

lblWorkcenter.Visible = True
     drpWorkcenter.Visible = True

SqlConnection2.Close()
   End Sub
 [/font]

It's not bound, but loaded at run-time, as the list can change at any time from another page in the site.

Thanks,

Kahuna

Back