Does VC# have an event for DoubleClick?

Can you elaborate? It's difficult to know what you mean. All .NET controls have a DoubleClick event, regardless of what language you are using.

In the designer, when you click on the lightning bolt for Events there is usually a Click event but I never see a DoubleClick event.

I want to put DoubleClick events in my code (my program).

Which control in particular? I found it for a textbox, for example, under the Action heading in the property grid.

Try this:

Private Sub Your_Control_Name_Here_DoubleClick(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Your_Control_Name_Here.DoubleClick
'Do something special
End Sub

All Controls respond to double clicks.

btw: Divil, did you write the DotNetWidgets menu generator? If so you did a great job!

I pretty much knew how to do it but I would think that double clicks are common and VS would have them like the rest of the Events. But I guess not. If anyone knows where that event would be please let me know. Maybe I have a cheap version of MSVC#? I got it from office max for 100 bucks.

I agree, the control your using is the richtextbox control, and i've checked both vb and c# - no DoubleClick from list of events (thunderbolt icon in c# and dropdowns in code from vb)
It is, however available as a valid event via code. The help also doesn't show the event, but it does show that the control inherits from the Control class. (All Control objects have a doubleclick event)

Any comments? Is this maybe a bug or is there some reason around this?

EDIT: It might be in code but it doesn't work. Found a msdn artical about event sequence, confirming no double click event:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d.../vbcon/html/vbconwindowsformsarchitecture.asp
It's just weird that its available in code (ide doesn't complain..):confused:

Last edited:
Should be in the mouse down event args.

The menu - you'll have to do that on your own

(snippet from my code)

Visual Basic:
class ParameterDrivenTextbox ...

Private mMenuAlternativeUnits As ContextMenu
    Private mAlternativeUnits As DataTable

Public Function LoadAlternativeUnits() As Boolean

Dim myBR As New BusinessRules.ParameterContainerBR()
        Dim aRow As DataRow
        Dim aMenuItem As MenuItem

If Not Me.mMenuAlternativeUnits Is Nothing Then
            Me.mMenuAlternativeUnits = Nothing
        End If
        Me.mMenuAlternativeUnits = New ContextMenu()

mAlternativeUnits = myBR.GetAlternativeUnits(me.GUID)

If Not mAlternativeUnits Is Nothing Then

If mAlternativeUnits.Rows.Count > 0 Then

'Build the  popup menu ...
                For Each aRow In mAlternativeUnits.Rows

aMenuItem = New MenuItem(Utility.ConvertToString(aRow("_AE_Bezeichnung")))
                    aMenuItem.RadioCheck = True
                    AddHandler aMenuItem.Click, AddressOf Me.UnitsMenu_Clicked
                    Me.mMenuAlternativeUnits.MenuItems.Add(aMenuItem)
                Next

Return True
            Else
                Return False
            End If
        Else
            Return False
        End If
    End Function

Private Sub UnitsMenu_Clicked(ByVal Sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs)

Dim theMenuItem As MenuItem = CType(Sender, MenuItem)

End Sub

Private Sub btnUnit_MouseDown(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.MouseEventArgs) Handles btnUnit.MouseDown

If (e.Button <> MouseButtons.Right) Then
            Exit Sub
        End If

mMenuAlternativeUnits.Show(btnUnit, New System.Drawing.Point(e.X, e.Y))

End Sub

end class

Sure - this adds code always adds the same handler to the menu items, yopu could also add the individually, one by one, not in a loop.

Last edited:
All controls have those events, because the base class has them. It is, however, possible that the inherited controls already have behaviour for those events and aren't calling them at all. In which case, they can't get rid of the events themselves (inheritance doesn't let you do that) but they can hide the events from the property browser using attributes.

Bottom line - if the event doesn't show in the property browser, it's probably for a good reason. But it's still there, and you can always wire it up with code on the off-chance that it still works.

DiverDan: Yes I did write them, thanks for the praise :) Look out for a designable Outlook Bar there in the next day or two.

If you just want a context menu, set the ContextMenu property of the control. It will override any built-in windows context menu, such as a TextBox's Copy/Cut/Paste - so you'll have to add them manually if you want those menus plus your own.

If you want to do something special before showing the context menu, you'll have to use the MouseDown event. If you want to trigger the menu in the Click event, you'll need to manually keep track of which button was pressed in the MouseDown event (such as a bool variable bRightButtonDown) so that you'll know about it in the Click event (which doesn't give you which buttons are down). There is no right click event :)

-Nerseus

Why does this not work?

ContextMenu C=new ContextMenu();
C=contextMenu1;
if(MouseButtons==MouseButtons.Right) C.Show();

When I put the . in after C nothing pops up, it is not recognized. Something is wrong.

Last edited:
Back