DLL Registration

-OniKaze-

Newcomer
Hello all, i'm facing a terrible dificulty and i really need some guid...

i'm trying to register a dll but the postbuild event on the properties of my project is set as regedt32 /s/c "$(TargetPath)" is performing an error during the registration process...the message is: regedt32 is not regognized as an internal or external comand..., i allready tryied regsrv32, regedit but they all pop the same error message :( , any1 knows how to solve this issue?

tnx very much

PATH environment variable

i really need some guid...

Pun intentional? Only joking! :p

regsvr32 and regedt32 are two entirely different programs, and as far as I know regedt32 does not perform DLL registration. You should be using the former (regsvr32). Both these applications should be resident in WINDOWS\system32 (or a similar directory).

If they are in this directory then it may be that your PATH environment variable does not contain this path. In this case you can modify the PATH environment variable to include this path in Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Environment Variables.

If these programs are not found where they should be, then it may be worth running a repair install of Windows as who knows what other important files you might be missing. You could also search for them to see if they lie elsewhere.

Good luck :)

Re: PATH environment variable

I've never even heard of regedt32, unless that is simply a misspelling. There are two programs, regedit and regsvr32, that are often confused with eachother. regedit is a Windows registry browser/editor/patcher tool and regsvr32 is probably what you are after, as said by MrPaul.

Re: PATH environment variable

what about regasm?

regedt32 is not regognized as an internal or external comand

My take on this is could be:
1. regedt32 could have been misspelled
2. the exe file is not in the same folder where the command was issued or Regedit32 is not included in Path.

i allready tryied regsrv32, regedit

Regsvr32 should work, I can't see the reason why you got that message other than the exe file was not in the same folder.

For heads up:
1. Do not include the DLL in you .net project's folder. You will have permission issues.
2. After successful registration of the DLL, add a reference to it in the COM objects/Interop.

This should cover most of the bases. I hope... :)

Re: regedt32 and regedit

I see. I guess System32 isn't included in my PATH. And, indeed, it does show up in Task Manager as regedit rather than regedt32.

Back