.dll load is slow - 1/2 through program exe

Drstein99

Junior Contributor
I'm writing a large application that uses many different .dll's. I've noticed MOST .dll's load initially on first program load.

There are a few occaisions where the OTHER .dll's load WHEN those functions are called - sometimes the users go into special dialogs that trigger the functions on those .dll's - which naturally, cause the system to hesitate for the first time while it loads from disk into cache memory.

I'm seeking advice on HOW to PREMATURELY load ALL REFERENCE .dll's into memory AT initial load of the application; so that when users click stuff for the first time, it doesnt hesitate seeking disk activity and runs from it's cache. Please help, thanks.

If the delay is really that big of a problem you could simply create an instance of a class from each of the DLLs when your app loads (just chuck splash screen or similar up), this will cause each dll to be loaded...
Doing this will result in all the dlls getting loaded and slowing the initial launch down despite the fact the user may never even need them in memory.

Back