DirectX9 in a distributed app

hog

Senior Contributor
I have created a DX9 demo app and have create the setup app to go with it. If I install and run the ap on my laptop it works fine.

If I install it on my son's laptop it says an exception occured and the app does not start.

Is there some special steps I need to take to ensure a correct setup app is produced?

Or does the target PC require the user to already have DX9 installed?

If the later could my setup app automate it?

Just 2 days ago I had the exact same exception problem when I tried to run my app without having managed DirectX 9.0b installed.

After that frustration, I spent time and figured out the easiest way to get a runtime machine working, so the other members of my team (artist, tester, etc.) could get up-and-running ASAP. I've pasted that at the bottom of this post.

As for your question about including a DirectX 9.0b installer, this text (on the DirectX 9.0b redistributable download page) should answer your question.
---------------------------------
DirectX 9.0b has a silent install (no UI, and no reboot) which is available to Microsoft Volume License Customers (VLC) on the following Microsoft Volume License Site (MVLS). This is a Multi-lingual package which does not require an internet connection during installation.

The VLC will have to go through a registration process to get access to the Downloads and their agreement info. After the VLC initially signed their agreement, the Notices or Primary on the agreement would have received an MVLS invitation e-mail, which includes a unique Registration ID, which they should have used to gain access to their agreements. If they didn’t do this within 90 days, their RegID expires and they have to ask support to help gain access. The support links are stated on the site, but if they’re in the US send mail to mvlshelpa@msdirectservices.com.

1. Login to the site (https://licensing.microsoft.com )
2. Click downloads in the left nav menu (You must have agreements in their view to see this link)
3. Choose “keyword” search
4. Type DirectX, click Search
5. They should see the link for DirectX..
---------------------------------

Also, I verified just a couple of days ago that if you use the MS Installer for your .NET application, you can have it transparently include the .NET 1.1 Framework into your installation process. I'm not sure *how* to do this yet, but I did find MS documentation that it's possible.

Hope that helps.

-Hiro_Antagonist

INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS:
-----------------------------------------------------------
Basic Steps:
1. Install .NET 1.1 Framework
2. Install *managed* DirectX 9.0b
3. Run <your_app>
-----------------------------------------------------------

Detailed Steps:
------------------------------
1. Install .NET 1.1 Framework
------------------------------

1) Download the .NET Framework from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...e3-f589-4842-8157-034d1e7cf3a3&displaylang=en

2) Run it.

----------------------------------
2. Install *managed* DirectX 9.0b
----------------------------------

1) Download the DirectX 9.0b redistributable from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...DB-DCCE-43EA-87BB-7C7E1FD1EAA2&displaylang=en

2) Save the DirectX 9.0b redistributable to your hard drive.

3) Run the executable. When you run the setup, it will ask you where to unpack the DirectX files.

4) Choose an easy-to-remember location, like C:\DirectX.

5) After the files are done unpacking, run the managed DirectX install. To do this,

click on your Start menu
select "Run..."

6) In the Run textbox, type in "<location of directx files>\dxsetup /installmanageddx".
For example, if you installed the files to C:\DirectX, you would type in:
C:\DirectX\dxsetup /installmanageddx

This will install the Managed DirectX components to your machine.

Mmm, confused now?

As for your question about including a DirectX 9.0b installer, this text (on the DirectX 9.0b redistributable download page) should answer your question.

This is for MVLC I believe, not for lil ole me programming on me own:(

I have the DX9 SDK install which apparently come complete with distributable? What I need to know is how to get it include in my setup app?

Thanks for you help so far, can you help further? :)

Well, it is for MVLC's, but are you sure that lil 'ol you aren't able to participate?

I honestly don't know because I haven't researched above and beyond that big post above, but my understanding is that becoming a VLC is an automated process, and the process is simply intended to make you agree to their licensing terms before letting you redistribute their stuff. The text from that page seems to reinforce that.

Anyway, you're sort of in uncharted territory, at least as far as I'm concerned, but I would encourage you to follow those instructions to sign up to be an VLC, and see what happens. The worst that'll happen is that you'll hit a roadblock of some sort and be able to tell the rest of us about your experience. ;-)

Of course, if anyone else knows, I'm sure everyone would appreciate them sharing. =)

Good luck, and please follow-up here letting us know what happens. In a few months, I'll be faced with the exact same problem.

-Hiro_Antagonist

Road block!!!

I registered for the MVLC but came unstuck whilst trying to following;

1. Login to the site (https://licensing.microsoft.com )
2. Click downloads in the left nav menu (You must have agreements in their view to see this link)
3. Choose “keyword” search
4. Type DirectX, click Search
5. They should see the link for DirectX..

Step 2, I have no agreements under the MVLC so the link does not appear!

Aha...duh...doh:)

The SDK has the redist files. I ran that then recompiled my app and it works:)

Back