Differentiating between runtime & designtime

Denaes

Senior Contributor
I'm looking to either:

1) Add a design time button to a control to have a configuration window show.
2) Show a configuration window when an item is first added to a form.

On the form I'll be displaying a collection on the Form (control collection) and I'll be displaying 2-4 control collections on the control.

Basically the control (aside from other purposes) contains a state property and when it changes, it affects other controls on the form, such as enabling, disabling, hiding, clearing, etc.

So if anyone can show me (or point me in the right direction for) the basics of the proper event and way to check the logic, I would be most appreciative :D

Denaes said:
I'm looking to either:

1) Add a design time button to a control to have a configuration window show.
2) Show a configuration window when an item is first added to a form.

On the form I'll be displaying a collection on the Form (control collection) and I'll be displaying 2-4 control collections on the control.

Basically the control (aside from other purposes) contains a state property and when it changes, it affects other controls on the form, such as enabling, disabling, hiding, clearing, etc.

So if anyone can show me (or point me in the right direction for) the basics of the proper event and way to check the logic, I would be most appreciative :D

To tell if your control is in design mode or run mode use this

If Me.DesignMode Then
'Design mode
Else
'Run Mode
End If

If you place a button on your user control that you want a developer to interact with you will need to add a control designer with a Gethittest method:

This is a function I used in a wizard control to allow the developer to scroll through the wizard pages at design time.

Protected Overrides Function GetHitTest(ByVal point As Point) As Boolean

Dim wiz As SymWizard = Me.Control

If wiz.btnNext.Enabled AndAlso wiz.btnNext.ClientRectangle.Contains(wiz.btnNext.PointToClient(point)) Then
Return True
End If

If wiz.btnBack.Enabled AndAlso wiz.btnBack.ClientRectangle.Contains(wiz.btnBack.PointToClient(point)) Then
Return True
End If

Return False

End Function

Hope this helps

CM :rolleyes:

Back