I'm using the following function to create my device:
public void initializeGraphics()
{
PresentParameters pres = new PresentParameters();
pres.Windowed = true;
pres.SwapEffect = SwapEffect.Copy;
pres.EnableAutoDepthStencil = true;
pres.AutoDepthStencilFormat = DepthFormat.D24SingleS8;

device = new Device(0, DeviceType.Reference, this.picDevice, CreateFlags.HardwareVertexProcessing | CreateFlags.MultiThreaded,
pres);

device.RenderState.CullMode = Cull.None;
vertices = CreateVertexBuffer(device);
}

As you can see, I'm using DeviceType.Reference because my users have lousy video cards. The problem I have is that the models I'm trying to display are pretty large and my application runs incredibly slow (probably less than two frames per second).

Does anybody know if there's a way of making my application faster without the help of Hardware?

Do you think OpenGL would be faster than DirectX? (without using hardware of course)

Thanks

I dont think so

I think all you can do to improve it is to use hardware, can you persay use DeviceType.Hardware, CreateFlags.SoftwareVertexProcessing ? EDIT[(requres less (as far as i know) than Hardware | Mixed, actually thinking about it your only allowed one of either Software hardware or mixed arnt you?] Scratch that i read Mixed instead of Multithread my bad. But i still think that your best bet is to use HardWare,SoftwareVertexProcessing

Last edited:
If you use anything other than Hardware you are pretty much set for ultra low FPS. Additionally Reference device is not available in the End User runtime, but only in Debug runtime.

Back