Derived Types

rbulph

Junior Contributor
How can I find all classes that inherit from another? The object browser has an item on the menu called "Show Derived Types" which you can check, but this doesn't work as I would expect. For instance a search for TypeConverter with this checked does not find ExpandableObjectConverter which inherits from this.

MSDN said:
To display derived types

1. Open your project in the IDE.

2. In Class View, on the Class View Grouping menu, select Show Derived Types.

— or —

In the Object Browser, on the Object Browser Settings menu, select Show Derived Types.

For each node in the tree that is a type, a Derived Types sub node appears that contains a list of all the derived types of a type.

I am as confused as you are because it does not work for me either. Which version of which program are you using?

marble_eater said:
I am as confused as you are because it does not work for me either. Which version of which program are you using?
Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Version 8.0.50727.42 Visual Basic

From the help library:

"Show Derived Types
Toggles display of derived types in the Objects pane. Available only for Visual C#."

Perhaps they mean "Works only" rather than "Available" since for Visual Basic the menu option is there and not disabled but doesn't seem to work.

It would be a shame if you can't do this because to be able to see examples of anything that inherits from a class could be useful in forming an understanding of that class.

I should have said this, but I am using C# express. The option is present but does not work in the object browser and is not present in the class viewer window.

Back