Deployment Issue With Web Service

TheWizardofInt

Junior Contributor
I create a web service that a .Net web site needs to connect to

For it to work, it needs to connect to another computer on the domain where it resides, in someone's office, behind a firewall, connection using static IP, and read a file.

So, for example, the Web Server in the office is Web_Server, and it needs to read c:\apps\myfile.txt on Joes_PC

This works in the test environment in my office. 1/2 the time when I deploy it, it doesn't. It returns an error for "I cannot get into that file", which makes me say 'Rights issue."

ASPNet as a domain user has rights to the file. I have reconfigured .Net security on both PC's to allow access on the Intranet

Should I be installing the dotnetfix to the Domain Server in order for it to handle the IUSR? I don't think that this is the problem, as we can create an ASPUser user, put it in the Admin group, and then reset Machine.Config to impersonate ASPUser, and it will still not have access.

Is the web service reading the file direct from the other server? (i.e. no services running on the server where the file resides that make this easier).

If so then you are going to have terrible problems due to the firewall, and although you could allow the relevant ports through the number and types (mainly all the MS ones that the more common exploits take advantage of) will seriously reduce the firewalls effectiveness.

You would probably be better either implementing a web servic eon the remote machine or hosting the text file in IIS and making it available through HTTP (suggest moving the port to something other than 80 though).

No, it isn't like that

There is a web server where the pages reside, and a web server within the office (which is essentially a PC running IIS so that it can run the Web Service and be connected to by the web server running the pages)

IN THE OFFICE, where the web service resides, the web service needs to make a connection to another PC in the same office, behind the same firewall.

It cannot get to THAT PC, and it looks like a rights issue

Sorry - I misunderstood. There is a good chance that the webservice behind the firewall is running as the local ASPNET user accouint and as such will not have access to network resources. The best way to get round this is create an account on the domain and make sure it can access the file remotely and use impersonation so the webservice uses this account when running.

Back