Deploy a program with mdb db without access installed?

patdenim

Newcomer
I made a small program in vb.net that uses a Access database. Now I'm wondering:
Do the users have to have Access installed on their computers to be able to use my program? I did a similiar program in vb 6 a time ago and then I solved the problem with including a .dll file so the users weren't access dependeble.
Grateful for answers.
Thanks!

As long as the user has the tools to access the mdb file - ie for .NET the appropriate system.data namespaces and OLEDB or ODBC drivers/providers then they don't need Access installed on their PC. If there is any doubt these namespaces & drivers/providers should be included in your setup project.

Thanks for the answer!
So what more exactly should I include in my setup project to get this to work? I have used the oleDB namespace to connect to the database.

Checking the references your app uses should answer that question for you. If you are using Access then I think that everything you need would be contained within the standard .NET framework. If (for future reference) you use a provider for something that doesn't come with the .NET framework perhaps MYSQL as an example - then the setup package for that provider would need to be distributed with your app, after checking licensing requiremnets of course.

Back