Decompiler

You can decompile any managed application using ILDASM:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\FrameworkSDK\Bin\ildasm.exe

If you don't own the rights to the software then this is illegal. ILDASM returns MSIL (Microsoft Intermediate Language) not actual VB or C# code though it can be translated into either. Obfuscators effectively prevent reading of the code by making it impossible to understand effectively.

Reflector (search for it on google) will allow you to view inside assemblies (dll or exe) and decompile to c# or vb (or IL if you really want). The code does not recompile.. but you can look.

I'm uncertain as to whether or not it's legal.. surely if you own the program (i.e. you paid for it) then you can do what you like with it (from the comfort of your own home, without involving others or selling a competitive product, etc)?

Part of the EULA in every commercial program(unless it was not thought through properly) bans the user from, in anyway, decompiling/disassembling an application/library to view its contents.

The reason this is prohibited is because you could come up with some wonderful compression algorythm and someone could decompile it and steal it unless you patent it which still doesn't apply in some countries. But like I said, an obfuscator makes code almost impossible to understand and the really good ones can format the code so it can't be reassembled, at least easily.

Thx guys, and it is an old dll from myself but i lost the code.
And now i can find it again.

Back