DataGridView Question

kcwallace

Centurion
I am attempting write an Webform using ASP 2.0.

I need to use a DataGridView. However, I cannot seem to find any sample code to manipulate a column using code behind. Specifically, I need to programatically hide a field from the datasource.

I cannot remove the field from the datasource, because I need it to make decisions

I use the code below to build the datagridview. I get an error at the noted location. THe error states:

"{"Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter name: index"}"

However, I know there are 6 fields in the dataset.

Visual Basic:
        With GridView1
            .DataMember = DS.Tables(0).TableName
            .DataSource = DS

.AutoGenerateEditButton = True
            .BorderStyle = BorderStyle.Solid
            .BorderWidth = Unit.Pixel(10)
            .EmptyDataText = "No Data Added"
            .Columns(3).Visible = False 'Errors here.
            .DataBind()
        End With

I have the AutogenerateColumns set to TRUE. However, if I set it to FALSE, nothing shows up.

You probably need to move your ".Columns(3).Visible = False" after the .DataBind(). Before you bind the data to the grid, there are no columns.

Todd

So, if you comment out the ".Columns(3).Visible = False" statement, the GridView is displayed with 6 columns?

As a side note; I rarely set AutoGenerateColumns to TRUE. I always like to customize my column headers and formats, so I always manually create the columns.

It is definitely telling you that your DataSet does not have a 4th column. I've had some issues with the "Visible" command on columns before. I can't remember if it was with the old DataGrid, the DataGridView, or the GridView controls, but I ended up hiding the columns by setting their width = 0.

Todd

Back