database problem

rosetavb

Newcomer
hello all,

I am doing a web design with a SQL database.I have a decision to make so I thought to have some suggestion from some experts. In the DB there are lots of tables. some of them are needed for the web site and some are needed for managment in a windows application and there are some that are needed in both applications. for example some tables that are related for the products, services, prices and ....
in managment department they will be filled by data and in web site they should be seen. and some data that a user will have on site will have to be in tables and be in managment application .
so I can

1-Make two databases. and for example every 12 hour I upload the updated tables to other database and download updated table from internet to my internal database. I do not know if this is a custome way. and if so I have to backup the database then download it, take the new tables and import it to my database. this can not be done automatically! do I have to do that at least every day! there is no way to automate this!

2-if i make one database. I have to either put it on my host sql server , if so I have to connect to it from my internal site (I think that is impossible) because that can be connected through ODBC.
if i put it on my internal site with a firewall and all those things, connecting to it from outside world would be impossible.

so if i am thinking in wrong way please tell me or if any suggestion i would appriciate that.

thanks for your help in advance.
roseta

Put it all in one database.

your internal application will have access because it will be on the same network.

Your website will also have access, you don't really want the outside world having direct access to your database do you? Let your website be the interface to your database and the outside world.

Back