Custom Control Parser error

sj1187534

Centurion
Can anyone tell me what the compiler is trying to say from this error. I created a web custom control ( not a web user control ) and I am trying to use it on an .aspx page.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Parser Error Message: File or assembly name JAN.SJ.Web.Controls.PathTracker, or one of its dependencies, was not found.

Source Error:

Line 1: <%@ Page Language="vb" AutoEventWireup="false" Codebehind="index.aspx.vb" Inherits="JAN.SJ.Web.Articles.index" %>
Line 2: <%@ Register TagPrefix="Tracker" Namespace="JAN.SJ.Web.Controls" Assembly="JAN.SJ.Web.Controls.PathTracker"%>
Line 3: <%@ Register TagPrefix="uc1" TagName="Navigation" Src="/Controls/Navigation.ascx" %>
Line 4: <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">

Source File: F:\Sharat\Work\MySite\SJ.Sol\SJ.Web\articles\index.aspx Line: 2

Assembly Load Trace: The following information can be helpful to determine why the assembly 'JAN.SJ.Web.Controls.PathTracker' could not be loaded.

=== Pre-bind state information ===
LOG: DisplayName = JAN.SJ.Web.Controls.PathTracker
(Partial)
LOG: Appbase = file:///F:/Sharat/Work/MySite/SJ.Sol/SJ.Web
LOG: Initial PrivatePath = bin
Calling assembly : (Unknown).
===

LOG: Policy not being applied to reference at this time (private, custom, partial, or location-based assembly bind).
LOG: Post-policy reference: JAN.SJ.Web.Controls.PathTracker
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET Files/root/cb1f5074/fd5b55ae/JAN.SJ.Web.Controls.PathTracker.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET Files/root/cb1f5074/fd5b55ae/JAN.SJ.Web.Controls.PathTracker/JAN.SJ.Web.Controls.PathTracker.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///F:/Sharat/Work/MySite/SJ.Sol/SJ.Web/bin/JAN.SJ.Web.Controls.PathTracker.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///F:/Sharat/Work/MySite/SJ.Sol/SJ.Web/bin/JAN.SJ.Web.Controls.PathTracker/JAN.SJ.Web.Controls.PathTracker.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET Files/root/cb1f5074/fd5b55ae/JAN.SJ.Web.Controls.PathTracker.EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET Files/root/cb1f5074/fd5b55ae/JAN.SJ.Web.Controls.PathTracker/JAN.SJ.Web.Controls.PathTracker.EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///F:/Sharat/Work/MySite/SJ.Sol/SJ.Web/bin/JAN.SJ.Web.Controls.PathTracker.EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///F:/Sharat/Work/MySite/SJ.Sol/SJ.Web/bin/JAN.SJ.Web.Controls.PathTracker/JAN.SJ.Web.Controls.PathTracker.EXE.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the directive that is giving me the error:

<%@ Register TagPrefix="Tracker" Namespace="JAN.SJ.Web.Controls" Assembly="JAN.SJ.Web.Controls.PathTracker"%>

Any ideas?

Thanks
SJ

Yes. I have the dll in the bin directory. I dont have it as a seperate dll but it is a part of a namespace in the application. I guess you know that the application dll is built with all the sub-namespaces within it. Does that make any difference?

SJ

wessamzeidan said:
Do you have the dll that has this control in your application's bin directory

Unless PathTracker is in its own assembly apart from the other controls, I'm inclined to think you have the directive arguments backwards.

Code:
<%@ Register TagPrefix="Tracker" Namespace="JAN.SJ.Web.Controls" Assembly="JAN.SJ.Web.Controls.PathTracker"%>

Also, is PathTracker a namespace or a class? If it is the latter, you should remove it from the directive.

Code:
<%@ Register TagPrefix="Tracker" Namespace="JAN.SJ.Web.Controls" Assembly="JAN.SJ.Web.Controls"%>

Back