Crystal Reports - Distributing to Client machines with VS.NET 2002

krinpit

Freshman
Hi,

I've got a problem which I have seen plastered all around the web on message boards, but I have not yet encountered a well documented solution. With this question, I aim to change all that ;)

I can create and run Crystal Reports fine on my own development machine, but when I try to install the project on other machines on the network, I get the following error - "Cannot find keycodev2.dll or invalid keycode"

Most of the solutions that I have found so far insist that one needs to add the relevant .msm files (listed in http://support.businessobjects.com/communityCS/TechnicalPapers/crnet_deployment.pdf) to the setup project. To do this I
* Right click in the File system window of the setup project
* Click Add-> Assembly
* Scroll down through the tab (which is labeled ".NET", looking in vain for something which resembles regwiz.msm
* Give up and click "Browse" and navigate to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Merge Modules\regwiz.msm
* Click OK

Of course, the solution now sees this as a type "File" rather than type "Merge file" and does not expose any relevant properties to me - Most importantly the "License" Property

So there you have it, I'm well and truly stumped. Hopefully somebody can give me some pointers on this one.

BTW: I have the version of Crystal Reports that came bundled with VS.NET 2002, and I have registered it.

:confused:

PlausiblyDamp said:
If you right click on the setup project in solution explorer and go to the add menu there should be an option for merge module.

Indeed there is - but when I go to add an assembly, I can't find the required assemblies in the list. I have to browse to find them, but then VS.NET doesn't recognise them as merge modules and therefore doesn't expose the properties that I need to access.

Maybe I need to do something to make windows recognise the .msm files as merge modules? Any ideas?

Thanks,
John.

So if you add the msm through the add merge module option it doesn't give you anything in the properties window? Just tried it here and it worked first time - just expanded the top entry (MergeModuleProperties) and the option for a lisence key was there.
Or are you adding it some other way - you also mention adding assemblies, which ones and how are you adding them (and why)?

PlausiblyDamp said:
So if you add the msm through the add merge module option it doesn't give you anything in the properties window?
No - Nothing worth looking at. A picture paints a thousand words. See the two screenshots attached.

PlausiblyDamp said:
Just tried it here and it worked first time - just expanded the top entry (MergeModuleProperties) and the option for a lisence key was there.
Not on mine for some reason :(

PlausiblyDamp said:
Or are you adding it some other way -
No, I'm trying to add it the exact same way as you describe.

PlausiblyDamp said:
you also mention adding assemblies, which ones and how are you adding them (and why)?
I've started a new project with just the bare minimum requirements now, so no complications....

Attachments

It looks as though you added it as a file rather than as a merge module - they are seperate menu options. In your screenshot the three msm files have been added as files, there is another listed that is callewd managed that has been added correctly - notice the slightly different icon.
I've attached a small screen shot - the first regwiz.asm was added as a file while the second was added as a merge module, notice the differerent icon.

Attachments

PlausiblyDamp said:
In your screenshot the three msm files have been added as files

I know :-\ . It's just that the regwiz.msm file doesn't appear in the list of mergemodules that I can select.

Any idea how to get these necessary files to be recognised as merge modules? As you can imagine, it's really frustrating to be so close to deploying my reports and to be stumped by something like this.

Attachments

That would be because you are in the wrong dialog box - that is the add assembly dialog box.

Try these steps
1 - in solution explorer right click on the name of your setup project.
2 - Move the mouse down to the option for Add.
3 - When the sub menu pops up select "merge Module" that's the one between file and assembly.
4 - Browse to the regwiz.msm file and select it.
5 - click on open.

It should now be added as a merge module rather than a file or an assembly.

PlausiblyDamp said:
That would be because you are in the wrong dialog box - that is the add assembly dialog box.

I'd say I feel so stupid, but that would detract from your extreme patience. You are 100% correct - It was a panicked oversight by me.

Thanks very much for all your help. I have managed to successfully deploy a report to another machine.

I'm off to play in the dirt and eat some bugs now ;)

Back