Creating addons for Messenger

Reapz

Regular
I'm toying with the idea of creating an addon for MSN/Windows Messenger but haven't got a clue where to start. I'm just after some guildlines and pointers really and if anyone knows any good tutorials regarding creating addons for other apps that would be helpful.

Cheers,
Andy.

is it possible to edit MSN messenger in the first place?
I dunno, hit control alt delete, select MSN messenger and hit debug..

or if u mean plugins?
I dont think MSN messenger 6 supports Plugins but trillian does :p
Trillian is like AIM, MSN, Y!, ICQ and IRC combined..

Yea I meant plugins. Anyway, the MsgPlus2 Addon for Messenger does have an API that supports plugins. If I've understood it correctly it's just a case of adding your code to a template. Apparently it's a little limited but it's a start.

MSN Messenger 6 does not have plugin support, MsgPlus actually is a program that is always running, it finds the MSN Messenger window and hacks it(SubClass) then loads in new menus and also hacks the RichTextBox in the chat view detecting characters and converting them (like sounds)

You'd have to have a loop, a class inheriting NativeWindow, and enumerate process calls to search for MSN Messenger, when you find it, give it's hWnd to the NativeWindow and you should be able to edit it. I'm not sure how to attach managed menus to unmanaged windows but since the Managed Menu wraps the Unmanaged Menu APIs it should be possible otherwise use the APIs directly

API for Messenger programming

Some time ago I was found a page on msdn.microsoft.com teaching how to use MSN Messenger's API with code samples written in c++ (these api are used by Messenger Plus), but now I don't found it...

Searching quickly I've found this:

http://www.codeproject.com/com/msn_messenger.asp

it could be really interessant for all MSN Messenger developers.

Good Luck!

Best Regards
kub

Back