Creating a Logon form

ArchAngel

Newcomer
Hi Guys,

I got a slight problem that could be very funny but i need help and fast. I am trying to create a logon page that takes the logon credential from a database but once i am using the multiple parameters the code does not check the parameters and just logs on even with wrong details.......

This is the code for select statement

Me.OleDbSelectCommand1.CommandText = "SELECT USERNAME, PASSWORD, GROUPTYPE FROM DBUSERS WHERE (PASS" & _
"WORD = ?) AND (USERNAME = ?)"
Me.OleDbSelectCommand1.Parameters.Add(New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbParameter("USERNAME", System.Data.OleDb.OleDbType.VarChar, 20, "USERNAME"))
Me.OleDbSelectCommand1.Parameters.Add(New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbParameter("PASSWORD", System.Data.OleDb.OleDbType.VarChar, 20, "PASSWORD"))
Me.OleDbSelectCommand1.Parameters.Add(New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbParameter("GROUPTYPE", System.Data.OleDb.OleDbType.VarChar, 20, "GROUPTYPE"))

This is the text retrieval and fill code

OleDbDataAdapter1.SelectCommand.Parameters("USERNAME").Value = txtusername.Text
OleDbDataAdapter1.SelectCommand.Parameters("PASSWORD").Value = txtPwd.Text
OleDbDataAdapter1.SelectCommand.Parameters("GROUPTYPE").Value = gptype.Text
Login21.Clear()
Try
OleDbDataAdapter1.Fill(Login21)
Catch ex As Exception
MessageBox.Show("Logon Failed", "Logon Error")
End Try

what am i doing wrong? i have to present this application at Uni tomorrow help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o :o :o :o

You do not appear to be checking if the password etc. was valid anywhere in the above code - or rather you do not appear to be checking if the Login21 object has any data in it.

Machaira said:
I don't see where you have GROUPTYPE in the WHERE clause in your query so why have a parameter for it.

It was ommited when i was testing to see if that was the error but i do have it in the code that is not working

The fill command fills the data into other column that are invisible on the form. the querry only returns the first parameter value and not the rest also it does not catch the exception when it cant find the data to use to fill

If no data is found it will not result in an exception, if you want to check that there is no match you need to check the data that is being returned.
Exceptions are only used to signal error (or exceptional) conditions.

Back