Constructors

rbulph

Junior Contributor
Working on the basis that all repetition is bad, is there a good way to write code to call constructors for a range of class types all deriving from a common base? e.g.

Visual Basic:
  Dim h As base
        If x = 0 Then
            h = New base(1, "ABC")
        ElseIf x < 0 Then
            h = New inheritor1(1, "ABC")
        ElseIf x > 0 Then
            h = New inheritor2(1, "ABC")
        End If

Public Class base
    Public Sub New(ByVal x As Long, ByVal y As String)

End Sub
End Class
Public Class inheritor1
    Inherits base
        MyBase.New(x, y)
    End Sub
End Class
Public Class inheritor2
    Inherits base
        MyBase.New(x, y)
    End Sub
End Class

I know you can use Activator.CreateInstance but then there's no check on whether the array that you're sending to the constructor is valid until runtime. So any thoughts?

I think something along the lines of the following would be your best bet.

Visual Basic:
Dim h As base = base.Create(1, "ABC", x)

Public Class base

End Sub

Public Shared Function Create(Byval x As Long, ByVal y As String, ByVal z As Long)
        If x < 0 Then Return New inheritor1(x, y)
        If x > 0 Then Return New inheritor2(x, y)
        Return New base(x, y)
End Class

Public Class inheritor1
    Inherits base
        MyBase.New(x, y)
    End Sub
End Class

Public Class inheritor2
    Inherits base
        MyBase.New(x, y)
    End Sub
End Class

If you are only going to do this once then I hardly see a problem with the if-elseif chain you used in your example. Otherwise, a shared method like this or a factory pattern may be best.

The fact is that your constructors are really just different constructors that just happen to have the same parameters. Its like inheriting a class and shadowing a method with another that has an identical signature. They have no functional relationship. I don't know how else you could simplify the situation.

I think ideally it would be nice if there were some way to inherit constructors and place restrictions on a deriving class' constructors to give them polymorphic behavior, but that could get messy fast, which is probably why most languages deal with constructors the way they do.

On a side note, I hope you don't take that extreme principal to heart. At some point abstraction becomes counter-productive and repetition is unavoidable.

Thanks. I'm only doing this once, with four class types, so the repetition isn't really a problem. It's just become a bit instinctive to try to cut out repetition where I see it...

Back