Connection to a Web Service

carpe2

Freshman
Hi. I have a Web Service created and an application in Windows Forms which uses that service. Both are running...
When i create the proxy to have access to the Web i give my ip direction...
I have no problems if i do this things in my computer, but when i take the .exe of the application created and i tried to run it in another computer, it gives an error, http 404, which means than it can´t find the server. Does it mean that to use the Web Service i have to re-create the application from each computer that i want to use it?? I want to distribute that Windows Form application in order to give use to the Web Service that i have in a computer which connects to a database to get and send data, and i thought that the only requisite the computers had to fulfil was to have .net framework installed...not the Visual Studio.Net to create the proxy tu use the Web Service...

Could anybody tell me something about this??

Thanks in advance.

Have you tried running your code outside of visual studio via the .exe file in the bin\debug folder and had success on your machine?

I've created a few proxies for my webservices and have had no problems distributing these proxies to every developer in the area for them to use in the project.

We use a build-machine which only has the .net frameworks installed and I can run (and compile, obviously) the application from that machine with no problems.

I can run my .exe in my computer, the problem is when i try to do the same from another one in my local network...I added as the web reference the local ip i have(192.168...). Could it be the problem?Do i need to add the public ip??

You could be on to something with the IPs. I've always specified my machine name, not the IP when I create a web-reference in Visual Studio (but really, these should be functionally the same thing).

You should be able to hit your web service like a web page, in that you can type its IP into your browser and see its methods

so if you are posted at the IP 1.2.3.4, then you should be able to type:

http://1.2.3.4/<folder name>/WebService.asmx and see that you can connect to it

It still uses Port 80 by default and you still have to enable it through local IIS

My problem when I was learning to do this was that the DSL modem I got from sprint had a router inside of it that had its own port 80, which then prohibited outside information from being redirected by my internal router. I reconfigured the Sprint modem as a bridge and then it worked fine

Back