Connection string from web.config - ok in debug but not when published

joker77

Freshman
Hi,

I have an Web Service project, and for the purposes of testing I have a web method that simply connects to the Database (SQLExpress on my local machine using SQL authentication), and returns a dataset. I am storing the connection string in the web.config file. I have another project which consumes the web service, and when I step through this one and enter the web method, the connection string is null so it fails to return anything.

The code in the web.config looks like:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<configuration>
    <appSettings/>
    <connectionStrings>
      <add name="ConString" 
           connectionString="Data Source=PC\SQLEXPRESS; User Id=user; Pwd=password; Initial Catalog=db; Min Pool Size=5; Max Pool Size=75; Pooling=True"/>
    </connectionStrings>
The code I'm using in the web method to access this looks like:
Code:
System.Configuration.Configuration rootWebConfig = System.Web.Configuration.WebConfigurationManager.OpenWebConfiguration("/MyWebSiteRoot");
System.Configuration.ConnectionStringSettings connString;

connString = rootWebConfig.ConnectionStrings.ConnectionStrings["ConString"];
As I say - when I Debug the Web Service on it's own it works fine, but when run from a browser on it's own (http://localhost/MyProject/MyWebService.asmx) it does not return anything, and when I've debugged it from another project that consumes it this is because the connection string is null.
Any thoughts?

Have you tried just accessing the connection strings directly? Something like
Code:
connString  = WebConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings["ConString"].ConnectionString;

Last edited:
Have you tried just accessing the connection strings directly? Something like
Code:
connString  = WebConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings["ConString"].ConnectionString;
Once again PlausiblyDamp - thanks

I'm still in the dark as to why the code I had works in Debug but not when published. I think I got it directly from the MSDN help as well for accessing a connecting string from a web config.

Anyhow, thanks, sorted now

Back