Complier could not be created

alsaffar

Newcomer
Hi there,

- I updated my windows XP professional with all critical updates available at windowsupdate.com
- I updated Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1.4322 from thier also
- I installed Visual Basic 6 Enterprise Edition
- Then I also installed Visual Basic .NET 2003 Professional Edition
- I created a new project in Visual Basic 6 successfully
- Here is the problem: I failed to create a new Visual Basic project in Visual Basic .NET 2002 I got the following error:

Project 'WindowsApplication1' could not be opened because the Microsoft Visual Basic .NET complier could not be created. Cannot find .NET Framework directory: System Error &H80131700&

Although Microsoft .NET Framework directory exists at C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322 and I can see it in the add/remove programs

I ran the windows update again and it couldn't find an update to the version of Framework I installed from them!

I tried one more time to create another project and it gave me the following error:

Project 'WindowsApplication2' could not be opened because the Microsoft Visual Basic .NET complier could not be created. Please re-install Visual Studio.

By the way:

- The 5th CD of Visual Basic .NET 2003 Professional Edition installation is all about windows componenets update and it has Microsoft .NET Framework 1.0.3705.0
- I skipped updating this component since I have the newer version!
- I hate the option of re-installation since it took me a decade to finish the installation ;)

Please guide me guys to make my VB .NET 2002 works with less effort.

Thanx in advance guys ;)

2002 requires Framework 1.0
2003 requires Framework 1.1

Make sure you have both versions of the Framework installed.
Sounds like you need to install 1.0 again.

Robby thanks for your help,

The sequence of my installation ws as follows:

1. By Windows Update -> Install .NET Framwork v1.1.4322

2. Install Visual Studio 6 Enterprise Edition

3. Install Visual Studio .NET 2002 (without installing .NET Framework 1.0.3705.0 that came in CD5 since I have a newer version)

BUT now I can see in Windows XP Professional folder:

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705

and

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322

!!!!

- Looks like v1.0.3705 was installed upon my nose :)

- So now, Is installing Framework 1.0.3705.0 now from CD5 will do anything new?!

- My Visual Studio .NET is 2002 professional version.

Please help me.

The two framework versions, while "versions" of each other, are not compatible with both IDEs. You need 1.0 to use the 2002 IDE and 1.1 to use the 2003 IDE. They can co-exist together as far as I know, so if you install the framework from CD5 as you say, it should work.

- I managed successfully to overcome my problem by installing .NET Framework 1.0.3705.0

- Since I'm using Visual Studio .NET 2002 that doesn't use .NET Framwork v1.1.4322, will it harm my OS if I remove .NET Framwork v1.1.4322 from Add/remove programs since I'm not using it?!

Back