Compiling an EXE and Settings its Properties

Audax321

Regular
Hello,

Not sure if this post belongs here, but my proxy is acting up and not letting me access some of the forums right now.

Anyway, is there a menu in VB.NET that will let you set the compiled exe's properties such as:

Company Name
Product Name
etc...

Right now, I have none of those set when the file compiles, so all I get in the Windows "Open With" menu for my program is an icon with no name when the user right clicks on its associated filetype. Also, if there is a way to add extra icons to the compiled .exe please let me know.

VS.NET generates a file named AssemblyInfo.vb to which you can input that information. If you dont have one then create a new project and just copy the file to your current one and fill in the info. Or add those imports:
Visual Basic:
Imports System
Imports System.Reflection
Imports System.Runtime.InteropServices
And then you can use this:
Visual Basic:
<Assemlby: AssemblyTitle("")>
There is more attributes that you can set.

You can embed icons in your exe by adding them to the project and then setting their Build Action to Embedded Resource.

I have a question regarding embedding icons... I need to be able to access the icon using syntax like this in the registry:

Code:
C:\MyProgram.exe,1

And embedding the icon like you said is not doing it. After looking some stuff up, it seems that if you use the embedded resource method you can only access the icon in the exe during runtime through code. But I need the icon to be accessible from the registry at any time. (It's an icon for any file type associated with my program :) )

If I'm using the wrong line in the registry, please let me know...

Thanks..

Back