Compile for Release & .resources files

paulx3

Newcomer
Hi,
i am a bit confused by what happens when i compile my application for Release. Several .resources files (eg: Project.form.resources) are created. Do i need to package these files with my application, or can i just include the .exe. I have tested both options, including the files and leaving them out, and there seems to be no difference.

Also another question about packaging/deployment, am i only required to ship to my users a setup application if something "new" is added to the application. Such as a new form or report which requires a registry entry to be added. If i only change a few lines of code and dont create any new forms can i just send them the new .exe file?

Thanks

Also, in case you didn't know, the system running any applications created with any of the Visual Studio .NET developing apps require the .NET Framework to be installed on that system to work. (At least with VB.NET, I think the others are the same.)

.resources files are created as an intermediate step by the VS.NET build process - the .resx files that go with your forms and any other files you have picked as "embedded resource" are made in to .resources files then linked in to the finished assembly.

I don't know how you're seeing them - personally they've never been around long enough for me to notice them, I only know what they are through investigating the build process in the past.

You don't need to distribute them.

Yeah they are always there, after i compile my application, for Release, there is a .resources file for every form in my project. They disapear though whenever i recompile for Debug

Back