Check for installed application

Rick_Fla

Centurion
Is there anyway for a website to check for an installed application? Or is there a way to add to IE's information a header object so when someone visits a site, it knows the application is installed? Example, might be easier to explain.

We have an application that an end user will install on their machine. Just a simple VB.NET application. On the website, the will click a button that will call the application with some parameters. This is working well. The problem, if the application is not installed, it gives them a page not found. What I would like to do, is when the user goes to this page, the page will know if the application is installed, enabling the button. If not installed, enable a download button.

please let me know if I need to explain this a little better. Thanks in advance for any help. I am still doing the google searching right now.

Well, the application I was looking for is one I would install. So what I did was make a change in the registry under the following key:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\User Agent\Post Platform

Add a String key with the name "Boo" or whatever you wish, leave the value blank. That adds an extra header to IE. So now you can look at the header info for the browser and check if that value exisits.

Rick_Fla said:
Well, the application I was looking for is one I would install. So what I did was make a change in the registry under the following key:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\User Agent\Post Platform

Add a String key with the name "Boo" or whatever you wish, leave the value blank. That adds an extra header to IE. So now you can look at the header info for the browser and check if that value exisits.
Cool! :cool:

Thanks for sharing.

Back