Change .NET Security in code

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eleventeen

Freshman
Is there a way through code in VB to change the .NET security permissions?
The app I am working on is networked through the LAN and its not possible for me to change 100 users computers each time it has to be installed.

Or can this even be done through a setup file.

Thanks

I'd look at a couple of options. First, maybe your code be auto-updating. You'd have to manually code this to go out and check for new versions and download them automatically. It may take a week or so to get working well, but will definitely pay off in the long run if you have lots of updates and lots of users.

You could also have the network admin set up a login script for each user so that when they login it runs your setup program (and possibly uninstalls the old one). A bit trickier and the user wouldn't get the latest version until they logged out/in.

You could also point your users to a web address to launch the EXE. .NET has built-in support for running a WinForms app launched from a web site which includes automatically downloading DLLs as needed. There are some issues of course :) If you're interested, check out this article and this article.

-Nerseus

Those are some great tips thank you, I think I might implement them.

But what I was actually looking for is the .NET Security permissions. Like when you go to the .NET Framework Wizards utility, you get the Adjust .NET Security. We need to have Full Control for Local Intranet as the application right now is causing a lot of Security Exceptions.

What I need to know is if there is a way to adjust the security level without user interaction or physically changing it myself on each computer.

Eleventeen said:
Is there a way through code in VB to change the .NET security permissions?
The app I am working on is networked through the LAN and its not possible for me to change 100 users computers each time it has to be installed.

Or can this even be done through a setup file.

Thanks

Hello from Greece! Did you finally find any code fof the security permissions? I have exactly the same problem as you had....
Thanks! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back