Cannot load bootstrapper files

computer-girl

Newcomer
I need to install my application on both a Windows 2000 and a Windows 98 system that does not have the .NET Framework nor the Windows Installer installed on them.

I would like my application to load everything that is needed onto the target system without have to redirect the user to Microsoft's website in order to download what is needed.

I think that I need the bootstrapper files Instmsia.exe and Instmsiw.exe to be loaded into my build directory in order to accomplish this goal. So far, I can only load MyApplication.msi, Setup.exe and Setup.Ini.

The bootstrapper files Instmsia.exe and Instmsiw.exe will not copy to my build directory.

I selected the Windows Installer Bootstrapper option. However, the MSDN library says that Instmsia.exe and Instmsiw.exe will not be copied to the build directory for deployment projects that include a .NET Framework launch condtion.

Neither can I seem to delete the Launch condtion labeled ".NET Framework".

What can I do?

when I build my setup solution it includes all the windows installer files which end up in the release folder. The .NET Framework runtime is in dotnetfx.exe available from the mS site. I was unable to get this to load automatically so a work around is to supply a readme file for the user to run dotnetfx.exe if they are informed that the .NET Framework is not present on their PC. I have an application deployment area on our server which has a folder in it to hold the dotnetfx.exe file so user need not go to the MSA site

Thanks, Hog!

I actually figured out how to do what I needed by using the bootstrapper.exe located on the MS website.

Best regards,

computer-girl

yeah, I have tried using that but it errors every time I try to use it? Even tried downloading it again in case the first was corrupt, but no joy!

Yep, tried it although I'll read your second web link to see if there is any help there.

I had my deployment setup working ok in that if it detected the .NET Framework was missing it started the bootstrapper exe file. It is this file that report the error.

I found that link on the MS site before reading this thread, and I'm glad I found this to see the second link you posted :) I was hoping that the dotnetfx on their site could be linked to directly, so that you could do an internet-update for the framework, but I guess not. Does anyone reading this now know of a way to pull the dotnetfx from MS instead of having to host it in your own install?

The reason I ask is the application I'm developing is <100 KB including the intall, but the dotnetfx is 20MB.....

Back