Can someone tell me what this means?

kcwallace

Centurion
Server Error in '/' Application.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Configuration Error
Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS.

Source Error:

Line 37: by Microsoft that offers a single logon and core profile services for member sites.
Line 38: -->
Line 39: <authentication mode="Windows" />
Line 40:
Line 41:

Source File: C:\InetPub\Websites\kcwallace_com\test\web.config Line: 39

Certain web.config entries are only allowed in the application root - is kcwallace_com marked as a virtual folder in IIS (and also as an application)? If so then this is the application root and you will not be able to change the authentication mode in the test subfolder.

kcwallace_com my domain on a web server hosted by an ISP. They say they can support .NET. Can you offer a solution how to "mark as an application"

I am very new to ASP.NET

kcwallace said:
kcwallace_com my domain on a web server hosted by an ISP. They say they can support .NET. Can you offer a solution how to "mark as an application"

I am very new to ASP.NET

I had the exactly error message once, and until now i don't know why :confused:
It comes with 2 forms. The other ofrm of the messge says:
"The application is not set to work in debug mode. make sure to set
debug=true in the config file"... anyway...

so first, make sure you have "debug=true" in your config file.. this is the default...so iguess you will find it unless you changed something...

now, if you start a new web application, with a form with 1 button, can you run it? or do you get the same error message.

2. If the new application run w/o erros you can do this (this is what i did)
Copy (by insert exists item to the new application) all the files
from the current application to th new application. Try to run it.
i hope this help.

Last edited:
Back