can someone find pages on a server with no links to them?

fguihen

Junior Contributor
i have a page or two on a server that interact with a database. they have been disconnected from the main site, so anyone using the site is unaware of the pages. is there a way that someone could, with or without knowing the pages are there, scan the server or check the server for any pages that are not attached to the main site?

If it was previously connected to the main page, it could possibly found on a search engine or in any previous visitor's history, or a link or reference, direct or otherwise, to that page might have been missed when they were removed from the main page. If, for any reason at any time, there wasn't a default web page in a folder, a list of all the files in that folder may be displayed. If the name of the page is just a word it could be guessed.

Although the last two are not very likely, it is still not very safe to restrict access to a page strictly by not linking to it. Some hacker with nothing to better to do with his time is likely to cause you some hell one of these days if you do.

marble_eater said:
If it was previously connected to the main page, it could possibly found on a search engine or in any previous visitor's history, or a link or reference, direct or otherwise, to that page might have been missed when they were removed from the main page. If, for any reason at any time, there wasn't a default web page in a folder, a list of all the files in that folder may be displayed. If the name of the page is just a word it could be guessed.

Although the last two are not very likely, it is still not very safe to restrict access to a page strictly by not linking to it. Some hacker with nothing to better to do with his time is likely to cause you some hell one of these days if you do.

its on a intranet, so it wouldnt be in a search engine.there is always a default page, id say the page name could be guessed, but its not very likely. theres no way someone can "scan" an IIS Box to see what pages it has on it? i wouldnt think so, but i cant be sure. regardless the pages in question are being moved completely

Back