c# DataGrid edit problem

Misha

Newcomer
Hi!
I have the folloving strange problem with editing data in the DataGrid. I can pull data from the database, show them and put in to the edit mode. Let's say I have to change some record from "green" to "red". When I change value in the text box and click update, data is updated in the database, and it has new "red" value, but on the screen I still see the old value "green". If I click on update again, the newly submited value "red" appears in the text box. Please, take a look at the code below. Thank you in advance!

void Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
{
SqlConnection myConnection = new SqlConnection("server=**;user=**;password=**;database=**;");
SqlDataAdapter myCommand = new SqlDataAdapter("SELECT * from Interface WHERE ID= " + recID, myConnection);
DataSet EditDS = new DataSet();
myCommand.Fill(EditDS, "RoomEdit");
EditDW = new DataView();
EditDW = EditDS.Tables["RoomEdit"].DefaultView;
EditGrid.DataSource = EditDW;
if (!Page.IsPostBack)
{
EditGrid.DataBind();
}
}

void BindGrid()
{
EditGrid.DataSource = EditDW;
EditGrid.DataBind();
}

void EditGrid_Update(Object sender, DataGridCommandEventArgs e)
{
TextBox RoomUseDescTextB = (TextBox)e.Item.Cells[9].Controls[0];
TextBox RoomUseCdTextB = (TextBox)e.Item.Cells[10].Controls[0];

String newRoomUseCd = RoomUseCdTextB.Text;
String newRoomUseDesc = RoomUseDescTextB.Text;

SqlConnection connUpdate = new SqlConnection("server=**;user=**;password=**;database=**;");
connUpdate.Open();
String sql_edit = "UPDATE Interface " +
"SET RoomUseCode = '" + newRoomUseCd + "', " +
"RoomUseDesc = '" + newRoomUseDesc + "'" +
" WHERE ID = " + e.Item.Cells[0].Text;
SqlCommand sqlCommandUpdate = new SqlCommand(sql_edit,connUpdate);
sqlCommandUpdate.ExecuteNonQuery();
connUpdate.Close();

EditGrid.EditItemIndex = -1;
BindGrid();
}

The code on the page_load runs before the update function, so when you call the BindGrid() function the datagrid source has already been defined in the page_load. You should put the data access code in the BindGrid() function instead, and call this function from the page_load too.

Back