BUG in Visual Studio.NET 2003, ASP.NET

dev2dev

Newcomer
Hi, I am facing problem which I am not able to fix and find any solution for this since nearly 4 months.
Scenario#1
I have a login form with two textboxes and one submit button (abviously)
(all are web controls)

Problem
When my page loads, i type userid in my first textbox then press tab to move to next control (password), now here,
normal behavious of any web page would go to the next control but this is troubling me and it goes directly to the addressbar then i have to press tab twice to reach the location.

If you are thinking I have changed the tab order or something, For your information, some times it works normal way(yes only few times, dont know exactly when, but mostly after the postback method or page refresh is done)

Scenario#2
I have nice web forms running which are initial stage of my development process of sales tracing system. So I have to keep adding code daily. Some times I have to change look and feel of my web page, so I mess around the controls here and there(mostly the buttons, drop down list).

Problem
Sometimes, after moving web controls, i found the my program behaving very differently, the button which i moved which never trigger the button_click event.

Scenario#3
This is the latest one which is much similar or related to the above one.
For sometime I felt like break my head with the monitor.

I have just added if condition to my existing code.
If txtUserID.Text = "anupama" Then
If ValidateUser() Then
'lblErr.Text = "Sucess"
Response.Redirect("startup.aspx")
Else
lblErr.Text = "Invalid userid / password"
End If
Else
' some code here
'
'
You can see It is hard coded static name "anupama" which matches with txtUserID.Text which is my login id where user types his/her name.
i typed the same name which should normally redirect to starup.aspx page in normal case, but it wasnt going, then i thought this might be the problem like the scene#2 so I debugged and what i really surprised after seeing the
if condition is failed and moving the else part even after i see the values in the Watch Window which is showing the correct one and which should go into the if part.

For all the above scenarios I tried all the ways, by rebuilding project and solution 10-15 times then they got sucess.

I feel this is a bug in vs.net 2003

does any one faced similar problem and got any solution they found then
please please please let me know

thank you

dev

For scenario 1 what values are you using for the tabstop property - this can affect the order in several ways (depending on duplicate values or using 0 as a value)

For scenario 2 are you binding the events yourself or relying on VS.Net's auto event wire up functionality? Also are you renaming any of the controls in question?

For scenario 3 are the values exactly the same? (No leading / trailing whitespace etc.)

As a final idea is this happening on only one PC or on several? Have you tried a re-install of VS?

->what values are you using for the tabstop property - this can affect the order in several ways (depending on duplicate values or using 0 as a value)

No way, long back I changed them, now they are 1,2,3 respectvly

->are you binding the events yourself or relying on VS.Net's auto event wire up functionality? Also are you renaming any of the controls in question?

If I change the name of the control and double click the control its not possible to go to my old code(eg:button_click event), IDE creates new empty sub, isint it? its not happening, that means, no change in control name.

->scenario 3 are the values exactly the same? (No leading / trailing whitespace etc.)
As a final idea is this happening on only one PC or on several? Have you tried a re-install of VS?

yes, used even .toString.trim() and also check the lenght.
(as i said, i clearly saw the values in the watch list)

->This might be a dumb idea but have you cleared your web browser cache after you made the changes?

cannot be, coz i said, the functionality of button stops, and by the way, i can see the other changed i make, only the code behind functionaly doest work.

hope we can fix this
thanks

Back